Friday, February 22, 2013

Last 24 Hours

Thursday night was a touch different than most as I ran right from work to a hair appointment for a refreshing cut and color.  Love the appointments because I catch up with a friend who does my hair and I get out of before work prep the following day since my hair is still salon ready, even after a night's sleep.  It usually means a bonus 15 mins in bed.

Well that changed so very quickly...  I got home just in time to put Maeve to bed.  Ryan mentioned that she didn't really eat her dinner, but she's been battling a cold so didn't think much of it.  Her notebook from school mentioned a great day with a good nap so no worries.  Well not 10 mins after putting her down she started crying (not normal), then it would stop, then start up a couple minutes later.  I grabbed her milk thinking she was just hungry from not eating dinner and as soon as I walked in her room I hit a wall of puke smell.  It was everywhere.  All over her, the crib, the floor, a poor stuffed animal that got the boot, even some on the wall.  So horribly disgusting yet so sad as she just didn't know what was going on.  She kept gagging alittle bit, but as soon as she caught her breath she seemed fine... babbling alittle.  I stripped her down and threw her into the tub, while Ryan went to work on her room (I offered, but he volunteered).

The rest of the night was a blur, between crying, puking up the little fluids she had left, dry heaving, and very little sleep.  We bounced from bed to bed, blanket to blanket, pjs to pjs.  I had to do at least 5 loads of laundry this morning.  Since this was our first stomach bug, I was no pro and just about trashed my house trying to keep her comfortable.

Fortunately our girl seems to have turned a corner.  The morning was touch and go, but no more puking.  She ended up sleeping almost 5 hours this afternoon and woke up in a much better mood with a better appetite.  Here's hoping tonight goes more smoothly.  I did learn that nurses and caregivers really are such wonderful people.  I couldn't imagine physically keeping up with sick people on a daily basis as it can be so exhausting and make you feel so helpless.  But we all survived and hope we don't see another stomach bug for at least another 18 months.  Now I'm off to bed at 9pm on a Friday night... times sure have changed... for the better :)

No comments:

Post a Comment