Sunday, February 10, 2013

Lazy Sunday

This very well might have been the first weekend in about 3 months that was overall pretty lazy.  No parties, no commitments, no projects, or major errands.  Much of that could have been because Ryan was traveling for work and didn't get home until late Saturday, but it just was great.  Lots of quality time with Maeve.

Pretty much we got back from the cruise in January and Ryan's been crazy busy with work.  The parent company that owns his company was sold a couple months ago so there's been some changes, new responsibilities, and overall more work so he's been stretched a little thin.  He's had a big trip to Orlando in January and just got back from Portland, Oregon.  I had my first overnight trip to NYC since I switched positions in July and of course he was flying back that night from Orlando so Michelle helped us out big time!  So far we've managed to make it work so here's hoping it continues.

Besides work, Maeve (and I) had pretty bad colds in January.  No flu that's been going around, but enough congestion and mucus to make sleeping hard to come by.  We've been very lucky as she's only had colds and one double ear infection so far... counting my blessings.

I really should be blogging everyday because Maeve is really at a fun age.  She amazes us on a daily basis with all of her talking - some coherent, some not so much - and her personality.  She woke up from her nap today and although it took a couple repeats, we finally got that she was asking for "pudin" or pudding for a snack.  It sounded so adorable it was impossible to say no.  Which brings up her sweet tooth... I've tried to be pretty good about sweets, really only giving her some treats around the holidays and at parties.  She has yet to turn down any sort of cookie, cupcake, ice cream, and mini M&M so I know moderation is key!  I made these delicious Snickers cupcakes for work (recipe on www.mybakingaddiction.com) and let her try some and she just inhaled it.  They were yummy and so moist that I couldn't blame her.  So far I haven't found any food allergies as I've heard some pretty scary stories so hoping she is in the clear.  In terms of her eating habits, yogurt, peas, berries, pasta, and cheese continue to be biggest winners.  Besides a bite of a meatball, I don't think she's eaten any meat in our house.  It appears she eats it at school, but I have my doubts.  We went to Chipotle last weekend while running errands and she seemed so grown up.  She insisted on drinking milk from the container, not her cup.



 Delicious Snickers cupcakes... they even had a frozen snickers baked inside!

 Not sure if this video will work since first time I've put one on blog.  My voice sounds kind of obnoxious, but Maeve is super cute in video.  I try to send video or pics everyday to Ryan when he's out of town.  This was  quick one in the morning. You can see the ADORABLE gap in her two front teeth and hear her voice.  She's been whispering more, which is pretty funny.

Maeve continues to love school.  She's still in the Baby Duck room because there isn't a full time spot open in the Yellow Duck room, but they are moving her over when there is room (about 2 days a week).  She's 18 months and the oldest in the room as it starts at babies from 6 weeks old.  I'm hoping she'll move in March to the next room, which is 12 - 24 months.  I'm not in the least bit worried about her development, just socially I'd like for her to be with more kids her age.  There are babies under 12 weeks in her room and the teachers always comment how Maeve pretends she is a teacher.  She'll try to feed and rock the baby...  the girl is a lover.  She's grown so much that even when I look at her, I don't see a baby any more.  Her hair is getting so long and she makes the funniest facial impressions, particularly with her eyes, where you think she is rolling them at you.  I don't think we are there yet, but not far off.  Her hair is long enough for pigtails and so close to fitting in a ponytail... she'll look just like me then!  She's been so good when I drop her off in the morning too.  She's less clingy and will even kiss and wave bye-bye when I'm leaving.  She has a love of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and although I've tried to have other shows, she'll just shake her head and say "No No No No No".  I got her to watch some of 101 Dalmatians and the only reason is because there is a dog in almost every scene.  

Back to the weekend - Maeve and I stopped at Greg & Jenn's on Friday night for a visit.  They had been having a tough couple of weeks and Greg's mom actually passed away that night.  I think puppies and babies often provide the best pick me up so hopefully Maeve provided a momentary relief.  I know she LOVES Greg and will go right to him.  Saturday morning we had a playdate with my girlfriend Stacey and her son Tyler and Jeanne, Kane, and Brady.  What a fun morning!  Kane is almost 4, Tyler & Brady are 2 and I was  kind of surprised, but Maeve kept right up with them.  We relaxed the rest of the day and I even got to watch Pitch Perfect that night before Ryan got home... such a great movie!  So today was more of the same, but instead of some 2 and 4 years olds, it was Ryan running around the house playing with Maeve in the tunnels and under blankets.  We did a ton of Skyping today with both sets of grandparents and even Tim, Courtney, and their new baby George!  Maeve hardly said a peep on the phone, but I think they'll be fast friends some day just like their daddy's.

One more random thought, so Maeve is loving the snow these days that before I can get her in her carseat, she'll try to grab snow off of my car windows to eat.  Now I try not to have her eat that snow, but she kept pointing outside on Saturday morning and we had just had a fresh couple of inches the night before/that morning.  So I got a tupperware container and filled it up with some snow and she just sat and ate it with a spoon.  The girl finished the container and wanted more so I gave her one more scoop and she finished it right up.  Sunday she did the same thing so she enjoyed two more bowls of snow.  I was telling my mom about it and she told me to let the snow melt and see what it looked like.  Her point was that the snow is likely so much dirtier than I thought.  I considered it, but ended up not because I probably would have just felt like a terrible parent, but what's the fun in that?  I have so many memories of playing outside with my sisters in the snow at all hours of the day and night and often just laying in the snow after sledding down a hill or making an angel, grabbing a handful of snow and just munching away... so refreshing.  Everything in moderation:)

The next two weeks should be relatively quiet for us with lots of family time before traveling picks up again.  I go back to NYC end of this month, then Maeve and I are heading to Chicago for a weekend to see the Harris family.  Can't wait to see pregnant Erin and get Isla & Maeve together.  They always talk about each other so let's hope they'll talk to each other!














No comments:

Post a Comment