Thursday, May 3, 2012

Balti-Muda

So most of the craziness at work for April was a pre-cursor for taking some time off.  On Friday evening, Ryan and I packed up Maeve and loaded the car and took off for beautiful Baltimore for a weekend visit with my parents and just general relaxation.  The Friday evening departure was in hopes of Maeve sleeping almost the entire time in the car and it was a success!  She woke for a pit stop at McDonalds where she was too busy watching everyone around her to eat her bottle, but she did great.

We didn't do too much, alittle shopping, Ryan golfed, and we grabbed dinner Saturday night in Canton.  There was a Pirate Festival going on which was a mix of children/kid friendly events and drunk, dressed up adults in interesting pirate garb.  I guess I get where Maeve's nosiness comes from because my eyes were checking everyone out.  Such fun people watching.  We had dinner at Chazz, which is the newer restuarant opened by the actor Chazz Palminteri.  Food was good, wine was better and company was excellent.  It was wonderful to spend time together. 

Sunday was rainy and cold, but Ryan and I got out of the house (sans baby) for a stop at a great wine bar, Cru, where we actually drank some craft brews and then lunch and a drink at Turk's.  Vacation = drinks = relaxation.  Maeve also benefited from some new toys and lots of attention from Grandma & Grandpa.  Here favorite (by far!) were the classic Fisher Price Maracas.  We actually "borrowed" them since she enjoyed them so much.  She's also wearing a super cute outfit (9 months!) from my friend Niki. 



Here see is enjoying what Ryan calls "the Cadillac of high chairs" that is likely at least 40 years old and still going strong... they don't make them like they used to! 

This trip was the first time I noticed Maeve sucking her thumb.  I'm pretty sure she's got some more teeth on the way as she's drooling more, sleeping less, and alittle more whiney so maybe this is helping.  Ryan used to suck his finger as well so at least we know of one thing she got from him.  Love that smirk... now that is, probably won't like it much in about 16 years.


So our weekend in Baltimore ended Monday as Ryan and I flew off to Bermuda for a couple nights of sun and sleep.  My mom had offered to watch Maeve and we couldn't pass it up.  It was my first time being away from her for more than 1 night so although I didn't sleep much the night before we left, I really was relieved to get the rest and time away with Ryan.  It wouldn't have been as relaxing or easy to travel around with the baby.  We are incrediably lucky to have had the opportunity and think it was good for both Maeve and us.  Per my Mom's updates, Maeve slept great and was perfect.... short and sweet and highly doubtful, but I appreciate her putting us at ease. 

This is what I had staring at me on the car ride to the airport... first so happy and content and then sadness...I was close to tears myself, but held it together and we were on our way to sunny Bermuda. 


Overall review of Bermuda was positive.  Weather was great, everyone was very friendly, and food was pretty good.  It was only a 2 hour direct flight from Baltimore so easy to get to.  We didn't do much: read some books/magazines, went swimming, took naps on the beach, played tennis, and had a couple drinks. 
View from our room
 

Ryan enjoying the shade after a long day in the sun.  We had stopped at The Frog & Onion for some beers and got two growlers to-go.

This is the only picture of the two of us... enjoying a drink and the sunset pre dinner.  My lower lip is extra fat, swollen from sunburn... rookie mistake.

Back to Baltimore for a quick overnight and we were off on our way home.  Miss Maeve decided not to sleep too much in the car so I spent alot of time singing "Wheels on the Bus" to her.  It's the only song that instantly stops a cry and brings on a smile.  She loves it. 

So not only is she teething, but she is so close to crawling.  She got up on all fours in Baltimore with my mom and has continued to do so.  She now scoots backwards, crossing most of the room.  Mainly she scoots until she hits something that she can pull herself up on.  She wants to stand all the time. 



Maeve's introduction to foods continues as well.  My mom was giving her cold celery and carrots to knaw on and the hard crust of bread.  She's much more adventurous than me.  I bought some Stage 3 foods to test, but it was too thick for her and she gagged herself until she threw up.  We'll try again in a couple weeks. Maeve did enjoy some finely chopped strawberries and some frozen blueberries to chew on in these weird mesh contraptions.  Pictures below.

First the yummy taste of blueberries... but wait, must have gotten some tart juices. 

So we're back in the routine.  Ryan is traveling this week in San Diego and our family room remodel is finally complete as carpet was installed yesterday  Michelle and I got most of furniture back in so pictures to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment